I started making my own Laundry Detergent about 3 years ago. My Husband is allergic to certain chemicals that are in soaps and he will break out if he comes in contact with it. So I found a PIN on Pinterest that had a recipe on how to make your own powdered laundry detergent. I gave it a try and we love it! It is hypo-allergic and will work in Energy Efficient appliances. The best part is that it is cheaper than store bought brands and you don’t have to use as much of it for each load. All of the ingredients can be found in your local grocery store. I have modified the original recipe just a bit.
My version is as follows:
- 1 box of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda 5oz
- 1 box of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda 5oz
- 1 box of Borax
- 2 bars of Fels Naptha you can also use Zote
- 1 container of Oxi-clean (optional)
- 2 bottles of Purex Aromatherapy Tahitian Breeze or scent of choice
Shread the 2 bars of soap ( I use a normal cheese gratter the small sized side.)
Layer each ingredient in a bucket. Then stir it up.
Once it is all mixed up you are ready to do some laundry. All you need is 2-4 tablespoons of soap per load.